Monday, March 29, 2010

Thar she blows!

After my minor whale infatuation last summer I wasn't that surprised to unwrap a copy of the 1956 version of Moby-Dick on Boxing Day (tree present, ya see?)

Owing to a bit of minor man-flu I was laid up in bed yesterday so it seemed the perfect time to finally watch it. I am glad I did as I found it very enjoyable. Sure the whale was fairly dated (i.e. no CGI, maaan), and some of the camera work and action was stilted in places, but overall it seemed a fairly true representation to the book.

What I particularly liked was the pacing of it and the fact quite a lot of the original, poetic dialogue had been left in, while some of the shots of the lads all a-whalin' seemed accurate, given what whaling knowledge I have accumulated on my short stint on this revolving lump of rock we call earth.

The music was fun too.

I also watched Starter for 10, a university-challenge inspired rom-com, which was, erm, okay. A bit fractured, disjointed, and a slightly messy ending. I should have known the ending would be a bit crap as I have a vivid memory of Richard Madeley telling one of the cast members, probably James McAvoy, that he though the ending was brilliant.

Ridiculous what the brain remembers isn’t it?

2 comments:

hayjane said...

The book 'Starter for Ten' is bloody brilliant. Not exactly intellectually stimulating, but laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Unknown said...

Yes I have heard the book is better. I started reading it once but lost interest that evening and never went back. This was in my pre book-devouring days though.

Widgets